We absorb up to 60% of what we put on our skin, children absorb 40-50% more than adults. Conventional face washes, lotions and skin care products tend to come pre-loaded with potentially toxic chemicals, including phthalates, triclosan and synthetic colors from coal tar.
Not only have these ingredients been linked to serious health problems, they can also make your skin look dull, irritated and older! You’d be better off putting nothing on your skin at all then using beauty products high in these toxic ingredients.
3. Ureas: preservatives that have the potential to release formaldehyde in small amounts and are a primary cause of contact dermitits.
4. 1,4-Dioxane: a chemical carcinogen, created when chemicals are processed with petroleum-derived ethyline oxide. To avoid it skip any product with the following ingredients: myreth, oleth, laureth, ceteareth, PEG, polythylene glycol, polyoxythelene, or oxynol.
5. Petrochemicals: derived from crude oil, petroleum based products, such as mineral oil and paraffin form a barrier when applied to the skin that does not allow it to breathe and can clog pores.
6. MEA/DEA/TEA: are amines and can form harmful nitrosamines when they come into contact with nitrates. used as foaming agents, synthetic stabilizers, and to adjust the pH of cosmetics, they can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation, and dryness of hair and skin.
7. Antibacterial Compounds: such as triclosan and chlorphenesin, do not break down in the environment and may contribute bacterial resistance.
8. Synthetic Polymers: such as sodium polyacrylate and carbomer, come from petroleum and give viscosity to skincare products. they are highly processed and their manufacturing creates toxic by products.
9. Synthetic Colors: made from coal tar, they contain heavy metal salts that may deposit toxins onto the skin, causing sensitivity and irritation. studies have shown most to be carcinogenic. they are typically labeled as FD&C or D&C followed by a color and number.
10. Chelators: such as disodium EDTA and tetrasodium EDTA are used in personal care products to remove impurities from low quality raw materials, they are not biodegradable.
11. Nanos: a new technologhy with inconclusive study results suggesting that the nano particles are harmful to cells.